Sunday, September 2, 2012

Making Friends on the Internet

Okay, so a little while ago I did a post about how I didn't know how to talk to people on Omegle and how my one friend meets a lot of cool people on there and I wanted to do that too and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, people on Omegle are creepy. For the most part. I've had a lot better luck typing "Reddit" into the interests thing.

But that got me thinking, if I'm meeting all these cool people on Omegle from Reddit... I'm sure there's lots of cool people ON Reddit too.

So I've recently taken up to shooting a PM to people I stumble upon that I find interesting. I actually do this as opposed to replying as a public comment most times. If I reply to their comment I find that I don't really have anything to message them about later (duh, because I wind up using that conversation thread), and I feel awkward PMing them after the fact saying "Wow I think you're really cool, we should be friends!". I find that it works better for me to PM them, have whatever conversation I was going to have, and then suggest we become Facebook friends or something of the sort.

That method has been working out pretty well for me thus far =]

1 comment:

  1. i feel like an old timer (30) and used to, literally, meet people in chat rooms and by finding people remotely my age on ICQ and had pretty good luck with that. of course, just having someone respond and talk about life in general was enough when the alternative was one of the two channels of TV i got.

    these days i only meet people who are interested in my code or who want me to do some web development for them. i have two kids, though, so my available time is much less.

    ReplyDelete