Monday, May 28, 2012

Dumb Topic of the Day: Family

Mom: Jeeeeeeesssssssssss. Can you come down here really quick??

Me: Um. hold on, I gotta finish something really quick!

(One minute later..)

Mom: Jess. Come down here really quick!

Me: HOLD ON!

(Not even thirty seconds later)


Mom: Hey, can you come down here?

Me: *vicious snarl*

I wonder to myself why she's soo anxious for me to come down. It's usually something pretty dumb, I'd bet monopoly money that it's pretty dumb.. yes, it's pretty dumb.


I started to hear some gaudy Italian music. They both turn around with  bright and gleaming trolll faces to show me this:
Yes, I had to take a picture.. my heart melted a little bit when I saw how happy they were and couldn't resist.

The lighted torches, Mediterranean plants, and bubbling hot tub almost made the painful Italian music suitable for the moment.

Had to make sure Tony was accounted for in this event too!

Yes, they created a little vacation spot for them to enjoy. Drinks in hand, they were sitting on the deck watching the sunlight. My dog, Stella, also seemed to be in heaven. My mom wanted to show me the sweet little set-up they had going on. Apparently they had a nice little romantic dinner on the deck as well.

Of course, I couldn't help but to roll my eyes a bit, but I'm glad they showed me. Today's dumb topic is family. I guess what especially drove me to write about this is because I had a crazy dream last night  about my grandfather dying, and I woke up feeling really disheveled. I felt bad that I didn't get to go over my uncle's house yesterday for a Memorial Day party. I went out with my friend Diana (Andrew's sister) to see The Avengers, and then we went out for lunch. It was great; I had a lot of fun, but I needed to relax for a bit cause I was still pooped from the French project thing- I didn't get home till like 12:45 in the AM. So when I got home from the movies, naturally I just plopped in my room and mindlessly surfed the internet for like three hours. I didn't even realize how much time I wasted. I should have went over and played with the kids and family. I kinda wanted to too. Just.. it didn't happen. I'm planning to visit them all individually this week now. It's a need.

The importance of family has significantly increased in my life this year. I used to be the typical grouchy teenager.. I tried my best to avoid family events as much as possible. Every time my dad would throw his stupid seemingly-weekly parties, I would play sick or go off to do homework. I'd give one-word responses to relatives' generic "let's pretend that I care about your life" questions.. ( those awkward, "so how's school" kind of questions), and blatantly treat my younger toddler cousins as though they were pet rocks. Did I feel bad about it? Not enough, in my honest opinion. 

It hit me, almost as though from a blind side, ever so subtly, but progressively, that people have aged, myself included. That sounds a bit corny, I know. Let's just put it this way, no longer do family members exist to me so that I can get a lot of money on my birthday.. and I'm no longer a little kid who co-exists so closely to them just to enlighten them with my naivete.. entertain them because I know that the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln. With time, I have learned that my idols, the ones that love me most, aren't perfect, but they are there for me no matter what, have their best interest in me for the sake of love, and that's why I love them. 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

No comments:

Post a Comment